Basic Italian Spaghetti

I was a spaghetti noodles and jars of sauce with frozen meatball kind of gal for years. To me it was so easy....almost too easy. It never tasted how I wanted it to taste. We were in In Washington D.C. for vacation last year and was invited to dinner at a lovely home. I loved the homemade way she cooked the spaghetti. Everything was delightful! When Martha Stewart had on a real Italian chef on her show, she demonstrated how to really make it. I took notes. Tonight I tried it and the test came to the table of my biggest critics. My guys! They loved it. I took the time to cook it from scratch.(except for noodles) It was so EASY! It had all the missing ingredients that I have longed for.
1/2 c chopped onion(optional) 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil 6 cloves garlic crushed, 3 1/2 cups of slowed cooked tomatoes cooked down in its juices, 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste, fresh cut parsley 1 cup boiling speghetti water, 2 tablespoons white sugar(1 to 2 depending on your taste), 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, REAL grated Parmesan cheese
Saute oil and chopped garlic and onion for about 7 min on med heat.(continue to stir) add boiling water and all the rest into a large pan.Cook down and let simmer for 20 min. Add drained speghetti to the pan, mix well, and let sit on a low temp until the speghetti soaks up the flavors.Turn the heat off and add REAL grated Parmesan cheese Tips: add a lot of salt to the boiling water for the speghetti noodles.

Popular Posts